Bombala to Nowa Nowa

Friday 11 September 2026
One of the reasons I do like the Nowa Nowa caravan park
(the other is the rules, which I wholeheartedly approve)

I awake to bright sunshine and a frosty ground and with a strong reluctance to extract myself from my sleeping bag, which is fully zipped up.


There is a mist rising from the river and I am a little surprised that it is not thicker as it was quite substantial when I walked very briskly to the amenities block at midnight.

From my cosy cocoon I watch a pair of magpies investigate my campsite and a pair of forest ravens, also very close, seemingly gathering material for a nest.

The 'camp kitchen' provides me with another mystery. (Last night's was actually finding the sink so I could wash my dishes) The kettle is chained to the bench and the sink is some distance away. I use a cup which seems to be the only possible means of transporting water to fill kettle.

The council guy enquired about my degree of warmth last night, which was nice of him; I was cosy. And he did inform me that the thermometer dipped to -1 during the night.  I feel vindicated for having zipped up my sleeping bag. 

Over breakfast I watch, in vague amusement, while a small group of  men, seemingly part of some business, take their morning exercise around the oval just over the fence from my campsite. I would describe their pace as a stroll. They subsequently remove waistcoat arrangements which appear to have a substantial amount of weight, so perhaps their pace is thus explained.

By 9:00 a.m. the sun is warm and my awning is starting to dry out; after packing up I head over to the Riverside walk. Not challenging, just a bit of a stroll before I hit the road.

I do have to smile to myself at the difference between my fellow campers, who are all in big rigs here, and the previous night where people were enjoying the outdoor life. Here everybody was inside and the hatches were battened down well before dark. 

As I walk, the birds are wonderfully noisy as are the frogs. 
Fruit tree blossom

Reflecting the cooler climate at this somewhat higher altitude, the deciduous exotic trees are starting to show buds but are nowhere near producing leaf, although there's one or two fruit trees with blossom. 

Daffodils are always beautiful

I make a tiny diversion to look at the daffodils in a garden bed and they are beautiful. 

Daffodils are always beautiful

Overall, a very pleasant walk other than being approached by an off-lead dog "it's okay, he's very friendly" don't care. Keep it away from me. 

The river walk

The road South passes through open farmland which is unbelievably dry, then into extensive pine plantations and then some nice forest. I'm just thinking how good the road surfaces are when I cross the border into Victoria and all of a sudden it changes for the worse. 

I pass a sign to a national park and Beehive Falls, but there is no indication of distance and there is no internet reception so it is only a little later I can google to find out that it's a seasonal waterfall, best after rain, so it might not even be flowing. 

Cann River church is always picturesque

I walked a little 'rainforest loop walk' at Cann River. It is exercise but I think it is misnamed for something that is barely 20% rainforest. 

A section of the 'rainforest loop' that is actually rainforesty

A pretty section of river on the 'rainforest walk'

I drive through to Nowa Nowa and after a bit of miss-navigation, check into the caravan park. I am the only guest. The website and other online info indicates closed but I emailed yesterday afternoon and proprietor, Stephen, remembering me from last year, said I'm welcome to stay and he'll probably opening probably on Monday. 

While offered a very scenic spot near the old trestle bridge, I instead opted for a more central spot given I will not have neighbours and chose somewhere much closer to the facilities, so my midnight hike will not be quite as long as it has been. 

My campsite, those other vans you see are unoccupied on-site vans

I wander off to find the general direction of the wetland walk and decide it's probably too far to walk this evening so I shall return in the morning to do that one before I leave the area.

Reflections on "Boggy Creek" which looks to me like a beautiful river

 But I do pause to look at some lovely reflections on the way and of course to admire the trestle bridge

Historic, albeit decrepit, scenic trestle bridge

Nowa Nowa is a pretty small, quiet town, but a sign reminds me that it once was the site of the first modern motel with ensuite bathrooms and power points for every room. The motel is still in operation (and hopefully has had some upgrades)

One of the reasons I do like the Nowa Nowa caravan park
(the other is the rules, which I wholeheartedly approve)

 As I sit with my pre-dinner drink and cheese and biscuits, I admire the light on a rather magnificent gum tree that sits sheltering a couple of campsites, including the first one I was offered.

The temperature drops quickly as the sun dips below the horizon and I have no doubt I shall not be sitting outside for long this evening.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Channelling Amelia and Amy

Holes in the ground - and getting into some!

On my way