Goolgowi to Parkes: channeling Banjo Patterson, some history and aboriginal culture
Saturday 29th August
Some interpretive signs do point out for me the Currajong (... Where mountain Ash and Currajong grow wide...) and another sign tells me about the snottygobble, a plant I first encountered in West Australia and whose name continues to amuse me.
| "...and he made the water boiling hot and dipped the razor in..." |
It's another corker morning. The forecast here at Goolgowi is for 20° today!
My second attempt at a hot shower was very satisfactory. The first attempt was finding that some plumbers are sadistic and install the taps to turn in opposite directions. Thus, adjusting the temperature to slightly warmer during my first attempt at a shower resulted in a very cool experience.
I commence my travels and the open road is once again incredibly straight but some roadside verge vegetation adds interest, as do a few undulations and distant hills, and then even bends!
I stopped to admire the silo art in Weethalle.
And a little further on, as I seek a comfort stop, I notice the Whistle Stop Cafe. Though it appears to have made a mistake with its menu.
![]() |
| What??? No fried green tomatoes? |
As I drive through West Wyalong It seems to me to have the appearance of a slightly prosperous wild west town.
I stop at the IGA and take advantage of the fact that they have a small piece of roast pork, but instructing the customer service person in how to pack it appropriately (ie, cut off the section that's protruding above the line of the box so the lid fits properly) was apparently beyond his comprehension or physical skills. He would have preferred to wrap it in interminable lengths of glad wrap.
A little further down the road. I stop and walk the wetlands boardwalk and sections of it really are beautiful with the Red River gums and the water.
| Wyalong wetlands |
I am intrigued to learn that Indigofera, if appropriately prepared, can be used as a fish poison.
| Wyalong museum - the old courtroom |
I make a short visit to the museum which is housed in the old courthouse and am rapt that the courtroom has been maintained in its original form with all its glorious woodwork and pressed tin ceilings.
They had exhibits of the normal range of paraphernalia of the era but the barbers' urn draws my eye and I recall that line: "...and he made the water boiling hot and dipped the razor in..."
There's a particularly beautifully restored Chevy truck that appears to be have been used as a hearse or that might just have been the proximity of exhibits.
A sign caught my eye - evidently a result of a touring protestant minister speaking negatively about Catholicism. Shots fired and stones thrown resulted in the Magistrate reading the riot act from the steps of the council chambers!
Continuing on my way. I diverted to the Wiradjuri Dreaming Centre a little way before Parkes and while it was closed, there was some beautiful outside exhibits to examine.
And along the River trail, a sculpture, and some poles representing the values and components of the life of the local indigenous people.
There were also interpretation signs reminding us of the dreadful way in which our first nations people have been treated. Overall slightly sobering but rather beautiful and a good way to spend half an hour or so.
My accommodation for the night in Parkes is a council run caravan park that seems pretty neat and tidy and nicely set out the camp. The kitchen doesn't have a cooktop but it has a clean microwave and a jug and a toaster and hot running water.
And as I'm preparing my dinner, there is another absolutely gorgeous sunset.

Comments
Post a Comment