Jarvis Bay to Narooma Beach with Orchids

Wednesday 9th September 2026
Flying Duck Orchid

I was packed up quite early, simply because it was threatening rain and I didn't want to have to put away a wet awning. Plus my phone battery was almost dead and my battery pack charger was also dead. So I couldn't waste time with communications. 

The day is overcast and grey and is getting quite windy at Jarvis Bay. The rain has held off. 

I spoke with a fellow camper who said that the water at Murray's beach yesterday was crystal clear. So maybe I should have packed my awning up and gone down there instead of swimming and snorkelling at Greenpatch Beach 

It's a relatively easy drive south and quite scenic; most of it through good forest. A little bit stressful when a very large Australia post truck wants to tailgate me in speed limit zones. 

Flying Duck Orchid

Apart from disgracing itself by interpreting a GPS Point as being on the edge of the suburb rather than the edge of the main road, Maps helped me relocate a patch of flying duck orchids that Jane took me to last year and it did not disappoint.


Flying Duck Orchid

I continued on to find Jane's second patch and did so with no problems. A small sedan pulled up 20 to 30m in front of me and an older chap got out strapped on his camera bag and I looked at him and said 'I know what you're about to do!'
Nodding Greenhood, Pterostylis nutans

So we did. We found lots and lots of Caladenia, possibly three or four different species and some nodding green hoods as well as some Acianthus leaves and evidence of finished flowers, plus one in bud. No sign of any other species about to flower though. 

Caladenia sp

I continued on after a very pleasant hour or so with the intent of covering 200 km in the day and that put me very close to Narooma. Consulting Wikicamps, I decided on a caravan park at Narooma beach, I was very glad I had passed up on a couple of others that looked rather grim. This one at least has the unpowered sites near trees and I'm tucked in a corner. That should give me a little shelter maybe from the wind. 

Caladenia sp

My other option had been Mystery Bay which is a council run site with pit toilets, cold open showers and that's about it. So for the same price I have hot showers, flushing toilets and a camp kitchen probably better than any I've yet had on this trip. I have paid more for much less. 

Caladenia sp

As I head into the camp kitchen to prepare my dinner, three young lads are cooking barbecue and I tell them that they are tantalising my taste buds so they offer me some, which is very kind even though I can't eat it. 
Caladenia sp

They are camped nearby and after dinner they try to start a fire, presumably with some of the worst petrochemical products available. I wandered over to ask what on earth they were burning and they confess their inability to get the fire going well. Did I have any suggestions. I did, and by the time I got back from cleaning my teeth the suggestions had been implemented and the fire was going nicely. And they offered me a toasted marshmallow which I did decline. They're nice young lads. On a break after having completed their mid-year near 12 exams. 

Caladenia sp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Channelling Amelia and Amy

Holes in the ground - and getting into some!

On my way