Nowa Nowa to Walhalla
Saturday 12th September 2026
![]() |
| Pelican on Boggy Creek |
I wake to a brilliantly sunny morning after a frosty night and in the middle of my normal routine decide I will do some washing. I insert coins in the washing machine, press the buttons and nothing happened. I then thought maybe I've done it in the wrong order. So try the right order, putting more coins in and still nothing and I couldn't open the door to get my washing out. At this point seeking help is called for and I subsequently find out that closing of the door 'interesting' and very touchy.
My host Stephen, after I've clarified that I would not put my woollen things through the tumble dryer, told me I could hang washing on the line and there was absolutely no urgency to leave, which is very kind of him; so I did that just that and set off for the wetlands walk.
The local river is called Boggy Creek and I'm assuming that at some point it is boggy but it certainly isn't here. It's a beautiful river.
I'm not sure if I'm being a bit obtuse this morning, but I'm quite vague about exactly what is involved with this walk in terms of distance. Anyway, I shall find out.
There's some lovely places to sit and look at the water along the walk but on the other side of the path is the dead remains of a tea tree thicket. A local lady subsequently told me it was flood. The whole area was underwater for 18 months and the tea trees suffered.
| A bit of colour on the side of the track |
I turn back from the wetlands walk after a kilometre and I'm subsequently advised that the track after there just wanders inland and I saw the better bits. I return to the starting point of this walk, chat with a local who has been out in his boat, and admire an avian local.
| Pelican |
I head in the other direction for the sculpture walk and I try to find where it goes beyond the point where it really finishes until I am set straignht by a local lady. I mentioned my slight confusion as to what and where and she says it is on the radar. So it's not just me being obtuse.
As well as a few sculptures, the backs of the bench seats overlooking the river are sculpted and they tell a story of the history of the place which is rather lovely.
I head back to retrieve my washing and continue my journey west.
As I drive along the Princess Highway, I reflect that it is so much easier driving than the Hume Highway with its squillion big trucks.
I stopped at a bottle shop, in Bairnsdale, one that's had some interesting offerings on my previous visits, and I was not disappointed.
I was, however, disappointed with the IGA at Stratfield; it used to have a fabulous deli with locally cured ham and other goodies, but it appears to have changed hands and they no longer do that. The lad behind the counter referred me to the butcher up the street which, of course, was closed by 2:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. I continued on, assuming I would have another opportunity to buy a few things for dinner; my assumption was wrong.
Maps took me via some interesting back roads and the last section into Walhalla is absolutely beautiful; lovely forest, winding road, up and down the hills, and Walhalla itself is a lovely little town.
I found my accommodation, the schoolhouse, which is a cute little, well appointed, self-contained cottage situated at the far end of the town. After five nights of camping, including two particularly cold nights, it's a bit of a luxury to sit inside in the warm and enjoy the space.
The corner store was not only closed but according to local information has very little by way of groceries.
So dinner tonight, despite the fact I have a full kitchen, is as makeshift as any camping meal.
I was a little concerned when the water stopped running as I was washing my dishes. I called my hostess and after a little while somebody turned up. They checked the tap by the water pump and said all was good and everything had got better inside as well. So goodness knows what the problem was. But I'm glad it got better.

Comments
Post a Comment